Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 10: The Hague

Ok, after I was talking to you yesterday, I just had my best day yet, but after that, things got......even better! Hehe. So my plan was to look for a match to watch the Villa-Spurs match, but I didn't hold much hope as I don't think I had seen a sports bar since I arrived in Holland. I asked the guy at the hostel and he said my best bet would be an Irish Pub across town, and he was right! Incidentally, I think that was the first time I met Irish people since I arrived too! Anyway, I watched the match there, which we won! 2-1, I was delighted! I was talking to a Norwegian guy during the match too, he was a Spurs fan, but he was pretty sound. I cycled back to the hostel afterwards, feeling sad to be leaving Rotterdam. It's even nicer at night too! I never knew how big a city it was!

I got up this morning anyway, ready for my next voyage, The Hague, or Den Haag as they say. I was meant to be staying in Delft tonight but again, accommodation was the problem. It wasn't a disaster though as Den Haag was just 10km up the road anyway, so I might take a trip down to Delft at some stage tomorrow.

Oh ya, another reason why Rotterdam was so good. As I said last time, my bike had a slow puncture but I was willing to tough it out til I got home, by pumping up my tyre every couple of hours. But as I was pumping up my tyre this morning in preparation for my journey, the hostel's caretaker came over to me asking if I had a puncture, and he helped me repair it! Well, when I say, 'he helped me repair it', what I mean is, he repaired it for me! And taught me how to fix it in future. Rotterdam really couldn't have been much better to me!

I had a nice leisurely cycle then today, about 25km to Den Haag, and in fairness, it was pretty straight all the way. Most cities have motorways connecting them but it's a different route for cyclists, but there was a road going to Den Haag, parallel to the motorway (called Parallelstraat, aptly enough) so it was fairly straightforward most of the way. Seeing as I had no map of Den Haag though, I had to first find a tourist office, then find my hostel, which as it turns out, I cycled right past on my way towards the tourist office, but sure, that's how it goes.

I didn't do much today. Apparently, the Dutch queen was in town (I didn't even know there was a Dutch queen) but I didn't see her. I wasn't too heartbroken though. There is an Escher gallery too but it was closed when I got to it, so I'd really like to see that. I went on a tour of the gaol alright which was grand, but apart from that I just had a general wander. It's a nice enough city, but no Rotterdam *sigh*. On the plus side, it is near the coast, so if it's sunny tomorrow I think I'll head for the beach.

I'm just going to have an easy night tonight I think. I'm back Friday morning so only two days to go really! I can't wait to see everyone! I have had a great time, but I'm missing people a lot, a lot more than I thought I would too!

Anyway, I'll be seeing y'all soon enough.

Peace out for now :)

3 comments:

Claire.Quinlan said...

I dont know about the queen but the dutch princess is a fox if I remember correctly. BUT her crown is spikey so if your trying to mount her watch out she may try fight you off with her diamonte antlers!

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a Dutch queen! I saw her wandering around Trinity last year! Or was that the Belgian Queen....ah bless, you miss us!

Dave said...

Took me ages to find this blog again, then i added the word "waterpark" to my google search. Job done.