Thursday, September 11, 2008

Day 5: Groningen....again

Today was just a nice relaxing day really.

It was my first day off and I really enjoyed it. My body was aching when I woke up so it was a good thing I didn't have to do any cycling! I treated myself to a bit of a lie in this morning too, well, half 10.

I was looking up things to do in Groningen and I was planning on going to an ice-rink today but I asked the lady at the hostel and she told me it opens in October. Dose! It may have been for the best though, with my zero skating experience and aching legs.

I just went for a general wander around the city today. It's a really nice place! I found a cartoon museum, the "Stripmuseum" (Ya....). It wasn't great in the end, but it probably didn't help that it was mostly in Dutch. I think some of the installations were interactive, but I couldn't read the signs, so I thought it best not to go at anything. It was all double Dutch to me! (Baddum tish!)

After that I found a park and spent a few hours there just listening to music in the sun. It was just so nice and relaxing. It really rekindled my love for music too! Before today I had only been listening to music as I was cycling, so I probably subconsciously started associating it with pain. Also, Fiona Apple might just be my new favourite singer. I was listening to her a good bit today and she's so so good! She may well have taken Regina's crown. Oh! I didn't mean that, but that's quite good! (Regina is the Latin for queen, by the way)

I made a friend today too! Well, when I say friend, I mean someone I talked to, not asking for directions. Manuela, she's lovely. She's staying in the hostel too. She's German but speaks perfect English with an Australian accent. She couldn't believe I was Irish because of my accent. Do I have an accent.....?

Oh, as well, I discovered that PSV are playing at home this Saturday. I was really hoping to go to one of their matches but it would take me about 3 days to cycle to Eindhoven from Groningen, so earlier I bought a train ticket to Eindhoven for tomorrow. I feel a bit guilty for taking another day off from cycling, but I think it's worth doing something I really want to. The match is sold out but I went on their website and emailed the ticket office earlier about tickets for International fans, and I just got a reply there. He said he'd set aside a ticket for me! Score! I'm really looking forward to that now!

I went back to my super Chinese restaurant again tonight. Again, quality! The portions are so big! The service was a bit more lax tonight though. Maybe she realised I wasn't a food critic.....
Haha! Sorry, I just read back over yesterday's blog and I realised I never mentioned that. I've been keeping a little diary that I write in every so often and I was writing in it last night as I was having dinner, so I was thinking maybe she thought I was a food critic.....*tumbleweed*......

Anyway, I think that's all my news. Next stop Eindhoven! (by train)

Peace out for now!

3 comments:

Bittersweet said...

I hope this works..i tired leaving a comment earlier but it kept not working! sigh..

Anywho, it sounds like your having fun:) and don't push yourself too hard.I agree with Kev when he says that reading about it makes him tired. 80km!!! thats madness! but good on ya!:)

Oh and that match sounds good. That'll be lots of fun:)

Anyway, your blog makes for a lovely read Mark, keep up the good work!

Love Carol Xx

Mark O'Leary said...

Thanks Carol! I didn't know who was commenting me at first!

You'll have to keep me up to date with all of the Villa news while I'm away :D

Unknown said...

Fiona Apple!? You cunt, how can you like anybody with apples for tits!? Sounds like a swell day off, nonetheless though!

p.s. Carol, you're totally hot, dude!