Sunday, September 14, 2008

Day 8: Rotterdam

Ok, last night I had a bit of a dilemma, get the train to Rotterdam or cycle to Breda. (I'm sure you've already realised what happened from the title). I was going to wait til the morning to let the weather decide but my fate was decided sooner than that. I had a look for accommodation in Breda but I couldn't find anything, nothing in my price range anyway. That's been my main problem I'd say, finding places to stay, as a lot of my stops would just be in small towns.

Anyway, Rotterdam it was! Funnily enough, the weather was lovely today, so I would have been going to Breda had everything gone according to plan! It's a shame that I wasn't cycling today, and I really mean that, cause it was perfect cycling weather, blue skies but not too hot, and also, I haven't had an epic cycle in ages! I had a bit of a cycle today anyway, cause my hostel in Valkenswaard was about 10km from Eindhoven station, even more in fact cause the main road was closed, so I had a take a little detour. I left Eindhoven though after two lovely days, in probably my favourite city so far.

After today though, Rotterdam is coming very close and may well surpass it tomorrow! I'm really glad now that I've got two days here cause there's so much to do! After I arrived at the hostel I got a handy little booklet with touristy things to do, so first I headed to the "Euromast'', a huge tower that you can go right to the top of. It was amazing, you could see the whole of Rotterdam, which is a really lovely city. There was a zipline you could get too from the top of the tower to the ground, but it turns out you have to prebook, and also it was like 40E! If I wanted to spend 40E on 30 seconds of pleasure, there are plenty of other places in Holland I could go!

Next in my guide book was the "Pannenkoekenboot", or "The pancake boat". Whoever came up with this concept is a genius! Basically, it's an hour long tour of Rotterdam by boat / all you can eat pancake buffet! Seriously, what a good idea! If it was just a boat tour I might be like, hmmm....it sounds alright but I'll give it a miss. But throw in a few pancakes, and how could anyone say no?! I only had had about 3 or 4 pancakes in the end though, I didn't want to go overboard! Hioooooo!!!

When I got off the boat I saw a sign for "Midget Golf". I thought this might be another ingenious combination of two things but it turns out it was just a bad translation of miniature golf. I still played a round though. It's not as much fun on your own but I had a larf anyway! I just had a general wander after that, but again, such a nice city! Some of the architecture is amazing, and I'm not even an architecture fan!

I'm still a bit full from the pancakes so I might wait a while before going for dinner. I'd say I'll read a bit here in the hostel for a bit then head out.

My plan for tomorrow then is.....who knows! Apparently, there's a small waterpark nearby, or there's Rotterdam Zoo too, so I might go to one of them, or both!

I'll let ye know tomorrow anyway what happened.

Peace out for now!

1 comment:

Dave said...

Wow. This sounds bloody like an amazing laugh! Incidently are you aware you are now an internet sensation? Youve appeared on an episode of family guy and everything. And to top it all off your reading my favourite book. You my friend are one of the lucky ones, not to mention WELL 'ARD