Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 11: The Hague....again

So, The Hague....

It's nice.........but it's probably the dodgiest city I've been to! Ironic, as it's home to the International Court of Justice. It's the first city so far that I don't feel entirely safe walking the streets. I accidentally found the red light district yesterday while looking for an ATM. I didn't even know The Hague had a red light district! And also, as I was leaving the internet cafe yesterday, I noticed the guy next to me was looking up call girls! It's a big change from Rotterdam. When I was cycling through Rotterdam at night, I felt......enchanted, for want of a better word. But last night, I didn't even bring my bike into the city centre here in case it would be stolen!

Having said that, I had a lovely day today, although I spent most of it outside Den Haag. As I said yesterday, it's quite close to the coast, so today I took a trip to the beach, only about a 5 or 6km cycle. And I had a really good time! The beach, Scheveningen, is big and sandy, and seems to stretch for miles! It's apparently the most popular beach in Holland, but just like with the waterpark in Rotterdam, because I went on a Wednesday morning, I was pretty quiet. So, I spent my morning there and had lunch in a beachside cafe. I made great progress in my book too! I'm about two thirds of the way through, although it's after hitting a bit of a slow patch.

I cycled back into Den Haag anyway for about 4 o'clock, and I went to the Escher museum. I wanted to go yesterday but it was closed, and when I got there today, I only had an hour before it was closing. I stayed for an hour anyway, but it was so good I wish I could have stayed all day! I really liked Escher beforehand anyway, but now I like him even more! There was all kinds of optical illusions there too, it was a really cool place. Even the locker room had furniture glued to the ceiling and walls!

That was my day so far and I'll be heading for dinner now soon enough. The manager in the hostel is really sound too! He lived in Galway for a year, so he loves me cause I'm Irish. Whenever I go into the hostel he talks to me. Today he had a cycle route for me of all nice places around the area, but it was in Dutch. He seemed really disappointed when I pointed out that it was only in Dutch. He's so nice!

Only one day to go! I just reserved my hostel there, it might be the same one the Claires stayed in, the Stayokay Vondelpark? I've pretty much travelled around the country going from Stayokay to Stayokay! So, my plan tomorrow is to go to Delft in the morning, that's meant to be a nice town, and then cycle to Amsterdam after lunch. My flight is like 9 o'clock in the morning, and my hostel is about 10km from the airport, so I'll have to get up at about half 5 I'd say.

So, signing out for my penultimate entry.

Peace out for now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We're looking forward to your return. The Hague sounds alot more like I imagined rotterdam, weirdly.

Claire.Quinlan said...

No we stayed in the The Flying Pig but I think theres just a small bit of park between the two though so if we were still there, oh the joys we could have shared :'( Can't wait to have you home though :D