Thursday, September 18, 2008

Day 12: Amsterdam

So, here we are, my final entry. I hope ye're all welling up as we speak!

Ok, so where did I leave off yesterday? Oh ya, haha! As I was walking into Den Haag last night after leaving the internet cafe, I had another, shall we say, 'Marina incident', haha. I'll tell you about it when I get home.

I went into town anyway to get some dinner, I even got dessert! Apple tart, and I've never seen so many pieces of apple in one slice! It was delicious though. They were showing the Man United-Villareal match back at the hostel so I watched that. Oh, I made a friend as well! His name was Ross, from Glasgow. I had breakfast with him this morning too. He was really sound.

So, then I set off on my last epic journey, Den Haag to Amsterdam. I was planning on going to Delft today but I was looking at brochures last night and there didn't seem to be much to do. Also my cycle today to A'dam was about 60km, maybe more, (I got lost again. It's not my fault! Signs just disappear after a while!), so that took up most of my day. It was a really nice cycle though, good conditions. I've been very lucky with the weather actually. I even stopped for a little picnic under a bridge. On my way into A'dam, I had to pass through Schiphol, and I ended up in the airport again somehow (I really don't know how it happened!). It was kinda nice though, coming back to the place where it all started 12 days ago, feeling a lot more confident and experienced, and also, I found my way out of the airport straight away! :D

I got to my hostel at around 4, after much searching around the Vondelpark. I dumped my stuff and headed into the city centre. I was one of those frantic A'dam cyclists! Weaving through the streets, I didn't feel out of place at all. I can now call myself a true cyclist. I've really come so far in 12 days.

It was nice being back in A'dam actually and seeing some of the places we were last year, Dam square where we saw that asshole magician, the long street where we had to run frantically for the train, I even visited the shop where we got Frankie. I was hoping they'd have more little Frankies, but I guess they must have been all sold out! I went to one of the internet cafes that we went to last year too, I thought it fitting to make my last entry from there, but the internet wouldn't work! Ah well.

I'm just at the hostel now, having an easy night as I have to get up at half 5 in the morning. My roommates are gonna hate me!

So, this is it. The end of my adventures, and thus, my blog. I think I've cycled around 320km altogether. I would have liked to have done a bit more, but it wasn't meant to be. I hope you've all enjoyed reading and thanks so much to all who have commented. It really means a lot. And I even found another Mark O'Leary!

So, for the last time, from me and Frankie,

Peace out everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Marky, you'll be home oh so soon! But I'll be in Dublin tomorrow....but I'll be home on Saturday! Lets all go see Pineapple Express! And there's only one Mark O'Leary!

Unknown said...

All in all, a pretty impressive journey. Both distance-wise and the whole going in off the deep end! And a good blog too, at that. I'll seeya tomorrow Mook!