Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 3: Sneek

Hehe, Sneek is such a good name! I don't know what's better, the fact that it's called Sneek or that the locals pronounce it Snake.

Anyway, really good but really tough day today. I cycled my little heart out! Around 80km, taking about 7 and a half hours of cycling. I'm really pooped. It was super sunny today which made it a really nice cycle. If I woke up to rain, I think I would have just curled up and died.

Anyway, as I said, it was a really scenic cycle. I went along the coast from Medemblik to to Afsluitdijk, then all the way across that, so I was going along the coast for a good 55km of my journey. I know I've said it before, but it's amazing what a difference the sun makes! Cycling through the Dutch countryside, with the sun on my back, it just felt really good and wholesome! Although, I got a really bad farmer's tan. Not even that in fact! The top side of my arm is completely red but the underside is pale. I look ridiculous!

I left Medemblik at about half 9 and I said I'd be at the hostel for 5 so I didn't have much time to waste. But as I was cycling along I saw a sign for a waterpark. I thought I'd at least have look to see if I could be tempted (although, for any waterpark worth it's salt, you should be able to see the slides a mile away!). I followed the sign but when I got there, there was just a big warehouse in what seemed to be a dockyard. Maybe the sea was the waterpark? Or at best they had a big swimming pool in the warehouse. Either way it was super lame, so I cycled on.

The biggest problem I had with cycling over the past few days was my heavy backpack, but today I made life a lot easier for myself. I tried in the past to cycle with my backpack on the handlebars but it was much too bulky. I had brought with me my little green bag, and some bungee cords (something must have rubbed off from the FCA), so today I had a brainwave to put half of my stuff in my green bag and leave the rest in my backpack. Then I tied the backpack to the handlebars with my bungee cords! It worked surprisingly well! I had half the weight on my back so it made things a lot easier.........*counts fingers*..........twice as easy in fact!

The cycling was hard today I must admit. I was pretty ok for the first 60km but the last 20, I was really struggling. Even little kids were overtaking me! Thankfully I found the hostel pretty easily.

I don't have much news from today seeing as I was cycling for most of it, and that leads me to my next point. I was going to travel about 45km tomorrow to Drachen and then 35km the day after to Groningen, but everyday I seem to get into a town in the late afternoon, and by the time I've got settled, showered and eaten, I have about 2 hours free before I have to rest for the next day's cycling. So tomorrow, I'm going to go straight to Groningen (even though it's another 80km and I'm wrecked from today) and spend two days there. At least then I can actually get to do things!

I think tomorrow's cycle will be a lot harder than today's too, because, not only am I pretty tired, but also, I know exactly how 80kms feel, so mentally it's going to be hard.

That's all my news anyway I think. Next stop Groningen! Hopefully I'll make it there for a well earned break.

Peace out for now!

PS. Thanks for your comments so far! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You absolute shit-purveyor! Here I am up to my waist in your children and you're gruningen around Holland sewing your wild oats! How could you just leave like that when the baby has your eyes! Your eyes damn you!You better not be knocking clogs with some dutch wan! I hope you are having a wonderful time, enjoy it before your clog runs out(ha get it?!)!

Unknown said...

That's an impressive awl trawl, that. Good thing it was scenic too, that many miles of boring road would have been pretty dull. Well, you've established your cyclist credentials now, all you need to do is blast Misty out of it and its next stop Mt. Moon.

Dave said...

Doesn't Misty come after Mt. Moon?
(and the winner of the nerd of is me)